Are you a writer seeking a freelance gig or a full-time remote job? Do you love to work in a flexible schedule and prefer to be autonomous? If so, you’re not alone.
According to Buffer’s State of Remote Work report, 99% of respondents would like to work remotely at least some of the time for the rest of their careers. Working from home has become a norm, and more companies remould their workplaces, adjusting to a new reality. Employees that have an option to work from anywhere show better performance and are likely to be more satisfied with their jobs. So below, we’ve put together a list of digital media companies and magazines hiring remote writers.
We will continue to add to this list as we find new remote-friendly publications. Special thanks to Jennifer Lancaster, a copywriter, author and editor for her recommendations. If you know any other magazines offering remote full-time/part-time/contract or freelance jobs, feel free to share in the comments section.
Publications with remote roles for writers
1. Mobile Nations is a platform that lets consumers make purchase decisions. It includes leading brands such as Android Central, iMore, Windows Central, CrackBerry, CordCutters, MrMobile, Modern Dad, Vector, Thrifter. If you love to write about mobile technology, apply here.
2. Digital Trends is a technology, lifestyle, and information website. If you are passionate about tech trends and gimmicks, check out their job openings.
3. Altpress is a music magazine. Currently, they are seeking freelance writers who love alternative music, pop culture and movies.
4. Vox Media is a digital media company that owns SB Nation, The Verge, Polygon, Curbed, Eater, Racked, Vox и Recode. Check out their full-time and freelance job vacancies.
5. NicheGamer is a gaming site dedicated to covering all the lesser-known and specialized gaming markets across the globe. View the careers here.
6. IAC is a media company with more than 150 brands and products. In the dropdown location menu, select ‘remote’ and view the current openings.
7. Bustle is a publisher comprising Elite Daily, Mic, Inverse, Nylon, Romper, The Outline, The Zoe Report, Bustle. The topics range from beauty products to international affairs and politics. View the careers page here.
8. TheTrendSpotter is Australia’s leading online fashion and lifestyle. If you have a degree in journalism, you may like their freelance roles.
9. G/O Media is a publishing company including tech and science site Gizmodo, The A.V. Club, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Kotaku, Lifehacker, The Root, The Onion, The Inventory. Currently, the have remote roles at Kotaku.
10. Rabbit Hole is an online magazine about East Asia. It hires the best writers from around the world and East Asia in particular.
11. LoveToKnow Media is one of the largest digital media companies in the US. A global company at heart, its team span 14 time zones. Select ‘remote’ in the dropdown location menu and view open vacancies.
12. FitSmallBusiness is a digital resource that provides comprehensive answers for small business questions. They offer the US distributed virtual roles.
13. Inside is a startup that focuses on growing relationships using curated email newsletters. They offer US-based virtual roles.
14. Grist is an online magazine about environmental issues. Currently, they’re looking for a staff writer, and the job can be done remotely.
15. Make Tech Easier is a reputable tech site with a strong focus on computer tutorials, how-to, hacks and fixes. View the open roles here.
16. Koreaboo is a digital magazine that creates content about K-pop. View their current job vacancies.
In addition to the magazines mentioned above, we publish remote copywriting jobs from top media publications in the job section of our website. Check it out!